Ten top tips for easy learning!
Policies and Procedures
1. Prioritise which ones are the most important for you or your staff to acquaint yourselves with and recognise that the best way may well be to learn in easy small identifiable chunks! For example if your company is having a `manage sickies` initiative your sickness absence policy may well be the one to go for first
2. If you have any hand in writing the policies and procedures try and make them as short and user friendly as possible. Use of space, colour, graphics and plain English can aid reading and digesting.
3. Ensure the layout is structured with an informative table of contents so that people can find things easily.
4. For each section of the policies or procedures imagine that you have to set a five question test to give to others. This will force you to scan the words with a purpose and get you to familiarise them with relative ease. This is a good one for induction courses instead of boring new recruits to death with PowerPoint presentations.
5. Go through your policies and procedures with several highlight pens and give a colour code for very important, fairly important and not so important.
6. Go through each section and make a mind map to aid memory
7. Design a mini poster for a few key points from each to put on walls in the work place.
8. Get employees to design posters as a competition
9. Have `themed weeks` where you promote selected policies to educate the staff. You can send light hearted e-mails to back up the campaign
10. Consider putting the policies & procedures online so that people can search the document to find things easily e.g. with Google Desktop Search